[HOWTO] Embed Files to the Map

Tutorials for the UnrealEd(itor) 2.5, which apply to LOTD, UT2003 and UT2004, and other games based on the same Engine.
User avatar Romania
Dragosvr92
Administrator
Administrator
Name: Dragoș-Valentin Rădulescu

[HOWTO] Embed Files to the Map

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Okay, here ill tell you how To Embed files, to the Map itself !
After you add a Texture to the map you can Embed it immediately or just wait until your map is Done and do all that later.

To Embed Textures :

Go to the Textures tab, select the file you want to embed, and get into Each Image/Texture and Edit its name.
There you will see the
panel with the Package,GroupName.

In the Package Field Write mylevel . and ........ if you would like you can select them a group, for example : ,Water,Land,Green etc
or you can put them all in the Same place ...

To Embed the Meshes is also easy ...

Get to the Static Meshes Tab, Go at top where you see the Edit area and Do the same Editing the Package to MYLEVEL

Note that you must NOT Embed Weapon Textures or Meshes to the mylevel package..
Also that Not Every files can be Embeded correctly...
For Example if you Embed a Shader image, the Shader from your MyLevel package will need the original image that may be placed on a other file .. so it will have to still Download the package even if your image is in your mylevel

The Solution i can think of is to not include packages that has files (textures etc) that depend on others .
Try getting the Texture out using Dragon Unpacker and import it directly into the My level file :)

To Check if all the Files are Embedded Correctly to the My level package try using UTPT20Beta5 to see what Files dos the map need to Run. If you see some weird names like files with a .pal extension. Try to re do the Embedding and avoid Embedding that file...
I Cant Remember exactly what you had to do so i hope you figure it out :)

So Peoples , From Now on use the damn mylevel package !! :P
I hope i havent Confused you with all that babling lol
I Just Re found the original tutorial i have read on BeyondUnread.
So Read this also for better understanding http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:MyLevel :)

Post Recycled
Formerly known as TheKiller
Canada
Damocles
Zombie Killer
Zombie Killer

Re: [HOWTO] Embed Files to the Map

Post by Damocles »

Hi there.

I have a question regarding embedding of texture files. Since I don't completely know all the files that are on the servers, I was wondering if you embed a texture file that is already on the server will it cause any problems with the map? My tendency is to embed any non-DOTZ file.
User avatar Canada
Puppy Wehtam
Server Admin
Server Admin

Post by Puppy Wehtam »

I'm actually very confused by this honestly... Here are my questions;

1. So I'm embeding the whole file for the textures into mylevel?

2. If I'm embeding the whole file does that mean I have to rename every single texture in the file?

Wait!! I think I understand it a little better now that I noticed a few things. So let's see if I got this right.

HOW TO EMBED TO MYLEVEL

1. Go to the textures tab.

2. Right click the texture you want.

3. Select "Rename..." the third one down.

4. In the window that pops up there will be three things listed; Package, Group, and Name.

5. In "Package" type in mylevel exactly the way I type it here.

6. In "Group" type whatever you want. Example; Floors, Walls, Landscape

7. In "Name" type whatever you want (except the original name?). Example; Wall1, Floor2, Sky1

8. Click Ok.

I hope I got that right? This leads me to a few questions...

Question 1: Do you have to save this mylevel package in any way, shape, or form?

Question 2: If you have a file in your textures folder named myLevel, Mylevel, mylevel that already exists will this cause problems?

Question 3: What if when done you see other textures in this package from past projects? Do these affect the current project?

Sorry for the questions and stuff I just want to make this easier for both me and anyone else who may be as confused as me.
Mapper, Server Owner (Puppy's Zomdemic)
User avatar Romania
Dragosvr92
Administrator
Administrator
Name: Dragoș-Valentin Rădulescu

Post by Dragosvr92 »

If you want to embed a whole file, you have to do it one by one for each file.

Yes. The myLevel can be typed anyway you want it. It is case-insensitive.
The Group can be left blank. Fill it if you want to group images. Bathroom, Sewers, Terrain, Water, Living room, etc.
The name can be left the same. All you have to do is change the Package to mylevel.

If you want, you can even start importing files directly into the Mylevel package, even if it doesnt exist.

Answer 1:
The Mylevel package is saved automatically, if the embedded thing (texture, mesh) is placed/used in the map and the map is saved.
The package is just saved with the map.

Answer 2:
Nah, it wont. The mylevel thing exists internaly in the map. It doesnt care what you have in your folders.
But some people saved the mylevel package years ago. Can delete it. it does nothing.

Answer 3:
Nope. If you load two (or more) maps that have embedded files into mylevel, they will all show in the Textures browser/tab.
But they will not be saved into the actual map/project, unless you add them to the map.

Sorry i wasnt more detalied about this in the main post, its been a while since then and my English wasnt as its now.
Nobody asked and i never added corrections. Now i kinda feel sorry to edit it. lol.
Formerly known as TheKiller