[HOWTO] Create a Sky Box

Tutorials for the UnrealEd(itor) 2.5, which apply to LOTD, UT2003 and UT2004, and other games based on the same Engine.

Did you managed to Create your Skybox successfuly?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 4

User avatar Romania
Dragosvr92
Administrator
Administrator
Name: Dragoș-Valentin Rădulescu

[HOWTO] Create a Sky Box

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Hey !
As Cosmo Needed to get some Sky Boxes on the Awesome maps he has done i said ill Google and learn How do they Work :-??

So heres What you have To do to get Sky on your Map .

First load the editor together with the map you want it on and create a Small Box using the Cube Brush outside the map and design it however you like .

like adding a Sky Dome Mesh ,Lights etc

Once You've Done that Go to the Actor Classes Tab / Actor / Info / ZoneInfo /
And Click/Highlight SkyZoneInfo

Then Go to your Sky Cube And RightClick "Add SkyZoneInfo Here" This thing is For your Skybox to work in Multiplayer

And For the End you have to go to Actor Classes Tab / Actor / Info /
And Add ZoneInfo Somewhere in your map at random

Now Select/Highlight all the Walls you Would want the Sky to Show up
Right Click And Click Surface Properties and Select the Fake Backdrop And Unlit Boxes
Now Select ok

For More Info Look on BeyondUnreal.Com

If i managed to confuse anyone reply here and let me know :)
Formerly known as TheKiller
Canada
Damocles
Zombie Killer
Zombie Killer

Re: [HOWTO] Create a Sky Box

Post by Damocles »

I would like to mention a little tweak to the skybox. This is for *after* you have completed the skybox as per TheKiller's tutorial. If your map has walls and the ground outside the map isn't visible, you will not need this. However.. if you can see the ground from an elevated position in the map(or a space type map), you will notice a black circle or square as the bottom. To fix this: put the texture you are going to use(dirt or grass for example) in the skybox(I recommend a skybox with dimensions 512x512x512.. as it makes it easy to scale the textures if need be). Then drag the skyzone info *sprite* down until it sticks out beyond the bottom of the skybox. There is some room for tweaking.. but I've found if you go too far, it can cause a weird glitch at the map boundaries. If you want meshes outside the map you also put them in the skybox, but you will have to figure out the proper scale (static mesh actor display properties). It may cause lag tho, idk.
operation1010
Dead Walker
Dead Walker
Name: Joshua Lung

Post by operation1010 »

Hey Umm , I Got My SkyBox All Ready , And I First Put Just The Tex Of Stars On All 6 Sides Of The Box And A Light , And When I Test , It Works , But You Can Tell Its Cubey , So , I Put A Skydomen There , And I Cant Change The Texture , I Went In The Properties And Changed The Tex There , It Still Dun Work :c
User avatar Romania
Dragosvr92
Administrator
Administrator
Name: Dragoș-Valentin Rădulescu

Post by Dragosvr92 »

After you add the Skydome on the map, right click the mesh, to go to its property's.
Then browse to this directions: Display/Skins/Add/Use.
Formerly known as TheKiller
operation1010
Dead Walker
Dead Walker
Name: Joshua Lung

Post by operation1010 »